Hi there, I'm Maya, the Creative Director here at Couturesque. We're continuing with this new series which lets you get a closer look at us - the staff behind this publication. Spend some time getting ready with us, learn more about who we are, and what makes us tick.
Meet Maya Kotomori (@utilitiesnotincluded). This is how they get ready in the AM:
On what they do at Couturesque: I work hand-in-digital-hand with Autumn to make this
lovely publication look lovely ! Oh, and I muse/rant about beauty in my monthly columns
as well. It’s no walk in the park, but I wouldn’t grind my braincells into a fine pulp for
anyone else BUT the lovely femmes here at Couturesque.
On where they see their career heading: I hope to be an Art Director/Creative Director
for a major magazine so I can make sure there’s proper thought going into shoots and
style guides. Or maybe I’ll start my own lil’ sumn’ sumn’…
On their favourite thing about contributing to Couturesque: I love being able to have my
incredibly niche opinions considered by other likeminded individuals supporting each
other in challenging the powers that be. We’re like Pastel Anarchism™
MAYA'S TOP 10
1. Most meaningful song: Tie between Starfish and Coffee by Prince and As by Stevie
2. Place to travel: Barcelona ! I need to go back.
3. YouTube video:
4. Favourite Podcasts: I love Still Processing with Jenna Wortham and Wesley Morris.
5. Role model: my mom, Maxene Waters, Innana and my dad
6. Vintage or thrift find: a one shoulder Margiela dress for $35 >:)
7. Show to binge watch: House M.D.
8. Snack food: lightly salted buttered popcorn with peanut M&M’s in it
9. Artist: Maya Deren – she is the basis for so many film techniques and my good sis
shares my name!
10. Skill, characteristic, or trait you’re most proud of: my ability to cook perfect rice.